Crime Fiction & Me
I have been trying to write a romance novel. My heart calls out to write a romance novel. I can so easily imagine a novel with a rose on the cover, with my name as the author.
Unfortunately, I am not a romantic person. I read romance novels, but I read them slowly. I don't gobble them up the way I would an Agatha Christie novel. When I want to be entertained, it is to crime fiction that I go. I am an avid fan of crime fiction in all forms of media. My favourite TV show is Columbo. My favourite film is Alfred Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt (see poster above).
If I spend so much time thinking about fictitious murder and murderers, what am I doing trying to write a romance? The answer is: I'm making a fool of myself. If I want to be realistic, if I want to play to my strengths, I should write a crime novel, whether that's a straightforward story of a detective or something more subtle (like Agatha Christie's novels Towards Zero and Ordeal by Innocence).
What do I have to do to write a crime novel? Well, I have to write (I already write short stories, so that's a big green check mark). I have to pick a project and stick to it (that's a little more wobbly). Finally, I must make myself acquainted with more modern crime fiction. I can't stay swimming in the twentieth century (there are plenty of new crimes on my To Be Read list, I can't wait to get stuck in).
The path ahead looks clear. I will write a crime novel, and I will love it. There are plenty of crime stories swimming about in my imagination. Time to pluck one down from the ether and stick to it. Let's get started.

Comments
Post a Comment